19 March 2006

Secret Project

J. P. W. Griswold

For years I have played guitar and bass for personal entertainment and to relax my hands after working in the forge. The hammer and tongs strain the fingers and forearms quite a bit, and if you do not do something to loosen them up, the next day will be worse.

So, after many nights of work, I pick up the guitar. I've had one around the house for about as long as I can recall. My grandfather played guitar when I was very little, but by the time I have memories, the arthritis in his hands kept him from playing much. I still have that guitar, and many others as well. My wife also had a few acoustic guitars when we were married, and we have purchased another since that wonderful day.

My wife likes me to play as well, even though she is probably a better player than I (my internal meter seems to be off, so my phrasing is sometimes choppy - hers is much better, as is her voice). But it makes her happy, so I try to learn new songs she likes, and play things she likes. It has expanded my ability, and playing on a steel string acoustic is not as forgiving as a steel string electric can be.

Now I've had electrics for many years, getting my first in High School. I have had bass guitars nearly as long, and even played pro for a while as the bass player in a polka band on sundays while little old ladies played bingo. Lately, I have even begun to build a pair of new electrics, both in interesing designs.

Why do I bring this bit of history up? Ah, there is the fun part!

A secret project is perking, rapidly comming to a boil. Recently, we picked up the last few new tools we had needed to complete the home studio. This has finally opened the door to full blown recording once again. I have had the computer to do so for quite some time, and have done some music in the recent past, but with the last few bits we will be able to really do pretty much anything. And the secret project is just the first. Once the first rough tracks are finished, we will put up a link so everyone can hear what we have been up to.

Thanks to my Mom for making the studio possibile sooner that we expected, and always having music around the house, and even tolerating it if I was the one making it!

No comments: